A Tutorial on Doily Confetti Cones

It has come to my attention that doily confetti cones are the new “thing”. I decided to do them after reading a wedding report by the user “angelfeesh”, and only thereafter discovered their thinginess. Or perhaps they only became a thing after this. Perhaps it was even angelfeesh’s fault. She certainly gave me the impression that it was an original idea when she did it.

Anyway, for better or worse, I liked the look of these:

(her image)

But with this dried cornflower confetti:


And a painstaking perusal of several wedding blogs brought me to this image of the cones used as pew ends:


A bit of a relief, as I was struggling with how to describe what I wanted to do with them, and was slightly concerned that it wouldn’t work. It’s not the only image I have found of this kind, but it’s certainly a pretty one.

Of course, one thing about “thing”s is that everybody tries them, and chats about them, and I soon discovered that people have very different ideas about how they are doing them, or have struggled to do them. I bought a 28 pack of doilies, which subsequently peeled apart all over the place and lent me far more than 28 doilies, so I have no idea what I’m doing with the rest of them, as I only wanted 24 to begin with. Or maybe 26. I’m still deciding. I’ve made 24 at the moment, anyway.

So I thought I had some slack, I’d play around, I’d take pictures and then I’d write this blog post explaining what I did, what worked and so on.

Here’s it, in photos.

So these are my doilies, in their pack, before I ripped it open and unleashed my killer powers of cone-folding:


And here’s the first doily.


I folded it in half and then I started to fold it in half again, but just pinched the central fold, so I had a mark of where the middle was.


I then tried rolling it to make a cone. This kinda worked, but it left a lot of frilly overlap at the end, which looked nice, but now how I wanted it to look. So I was going to have to cut them.


One of my friends from the forum said that she cut them into pac-man shapes, but my exploration of the cones suggested this would only work with much larger doilies. As it was, my cones were going to end up very very wide with pac-man shapes cut out of them, and I wanted them to be taller and narrower so that I could tie them to chairs at the “pew ends” of my rows. This meant I had to cut out more than a pac-man sized piece, so I tried cutting one in half:


Now that folded up quite well:


To seal the cones, I applied a large smear of cheap-alternative-to-pritt-stick and overlapped the edges by about 5mm thickness, being careful to ensure that there wasn’t a hole at the very tip and that I had folded it with the alcove side of the doily facing inwards (your doilies might not be sided, but mine were). I had to do it with a little more overlap at the frilly top than the pointy end, simply because of the point.




I then got very excited and made a further 23 of them, and then built it into a tower when I was sure the glue was dry. Ta-da!





About RowenaFW

I am a Fish. But you wouldn't know it just from looking at me. View all posts by RowenaFW

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: